⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more

What tax do we pay on interest from a joint account?

If you have a joint account with your spouse, HMRC has a simple rule to calculate the tax due:

  1. Split the interest down the middle
  2. Apply each spouse’s interest savings allowance to their piece
  3. Pay tax separately.


  • Husband: basic rate taxpayer – gets £1,000 of personal savings allowance
  • Wife: higher rate taxpayer – gets £500 tax-free
  • Interest: £2,000 – half “belongs” to the husband, half to the wife.


  • Husband pays no tax (uses the entire savings allowance)
  • Wife needs to pay tax on £500 at the higher rate (40%).

What if we don’t want to split the interest 50-50?

You need to prove that you use a different split (for example, one partner put more money in, etc.)

Call HMRC at:

  • If you live in the UK: 0300 200 3300
  • If you live abroad: +44 135 535 9022

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How TaxScouts works

Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start preparing your tax return.

Then get paired with a tax return accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real certified accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will submit your return with HMRC for you.

That’s it! We told you it was simple.