Your self-employed tax return, done for you

Being self-employed is hard enough without worrying about your tax return.

Painless, fast and done for you for £119. The way taxes should be done. Our accountants are experts in self-employed tax returns.

Painless tax returns

There’s nothing you need to learn or download. It’s a simple online process. You can do it from your phone, in your PJs, on the sofa, if that’s your thing.

Peace of mind

No more worrying about missing a claimable expense, tax relief or making a mistake. Get your return filed by a real, certified accountant who’s got your back.

A fair, fixed fee

It doesn’t matter how complicated your situation is or how much you earn. No matter what, it’s just £119. No hidden costs, no hassles, no “quotes”.

Both employed and self-employed?

If you’re both employed and self-employed it can be difficult to work out what taxes you may owe.

Our calculator will show you how much tax your employer already sent to HMRC through PAYE and how much tax you need to pay on your self-employed income.

We’ll register you as self-employed

You need to let HMRC know when you become self-employed. It can be a bit confusing doing it yourself, but we can register for you for just £25. Once registered, HMRC will send you a UTR number, or Unique Taxpayer Registration number, in the post. Sleep easy and leave it with us.

Common questions

You’re not alone. If you’ve got a question we’ve probably heard it before from other self-employed customers just like you. We can walk you through what to do.

Self-service guides and FAQs


For example: you works as a restaurant waiter in the morning and drive an Uber in the evenings. You will have to file a tax return for your Uber income.

Read more about being both employed and self-employed here.


If you don’t tell HMRC that you’re no longer self-employed, they’ll still expect you to file a Self Assessment tax return.

You’ll be fined if you don’t – even if you owe no tax at all.

The way you tell HMRC that you stopped being self-employed is by filing a tax return and specifying that it’s your last one.

We’ve created this guide that shows you how to register as self-employed.

We can also help you register as self-employed for a simple, one-off £25 fee.

You’ll get a UTR number which you need when you file your tax return.

If you’re self-employed, you can get up to £1,000 each tax year as a tax-free allowance. This is called the Trading Allowance.


  • if you earn less than £1,000 from self-employment, you don’t need to do anything: it’s completely tax-free
  • if your expenses are under £1,000, you can just claim this allowance instead: it’s bigger and you don’t need to worry about receipts

Learn more about the Trading Allowance

“Payment on Account” means that you pay tax in two instalments:

  • first in January (the usual deadline for paying the tax bill for last year)
  • second in July.

In your first year as self-employed, you will likely have to pay 150% of your tax bill in one go.

For example:

  1. your tax bill for 2019/20 is £9,000
  2. you need to pay this in full by January 31st 2021
  3. you also need to pay an additional advance payment of £4,500 (50% of £9,000) at the same time.
  4. finally, you have to pay another £4,500 by July 31st 2021.

Basically, it’s an advance payment. If you turn out to earn less or more this tax year, HMRC will adjust it for you, and refund if needed.

Also, if you earn more than 80% of your income through PAYE, you won’t need to use Payments on Account.

If you’re a construction worker working under the CIS (Construction Industry Scheme), you’re likely due a tax refund instead. That’s because your contractor is deducting 20% (or even 30%, if you’re not registered under CIS) from your pay, and sending it to HMRC. For most people this is more than they should be paying.

What you need to do:

You can claim pretty much everything that you use “for business”:

  • a portion of your home
  • transport costs
  • accountant fees (including ours!)
  • laptop, phone, etc.

For most of these things, you need to calculate what proportion you actually use for your self-employed business.

The complete list of self-employed allowances is here.


“Self-employed” means that you do not work for an employer and you don’t pay Income Tax or National Insurance through PAYE

“Sole trader” is just the formal name for your self-employed business.

See why our customers love us

“It’s companies like TaxScouts that …”
It’s companies like TaxScouts that make the internet brilliant. Easy to use, stress free, fast and amazing value for money. I’ve already told 5 people about it, it’s a great service.
— Andrew
“Absolutely brilliant!!!”
Good bye traditional accountants. This is the business.
— Dean B
“I will not shut up about you guys!”
Tax return filed within 24h… No forever back and forth emails. I am totally in love and recommending you to everyone. Fact!
— Emilie

Let’s get your tax return sorted