What information do I need to file my tax return?

The information TaxScouts needs to complete your tax return depends on two things:

1. Self-employment

  • Income records: we can use either invoices or even a list of your transactions recorded in a simple spreadsheet
  • Expenses: again, either receipts or a spreadsheet can work.

NOTE: bank statements can also be used, as long as you highlight the direct business expenses.

If during the tax year you were both employed and self-employed then a P60 form will be required for the portion of the year where you were employed.

Details of your employment should be included in your tax return.

2. Construction Industry Scheme

  • CIS statements or payslips: any documents showing how much you earned and how much tax has been paid by your contractor (they are legally required to provide them)
  • Any receipts for expenses related to work, such as transportation costs and equipment costs.

You can also check out our guide on what expenses can be claimed so you can increase your CIS refund.

3. Property income

  • You can just upload a summary of any rental income and expenses recorded in a spreadsheet directly to our system.
  • Receipts from any expenditure related directly to the property rental.

You can read more about what the allowable property expenses here.

4. Capital gains

We will need to know:

  • the date and cost the asset was acquired
  • the date and amount the asset was sold for.

Check out our handy capital gain tax calculator for further information on how much you can expect to pay.

5. Employed (PAYE)

  • P60 End of Year Tax Certificate or P45 details of employee leaving
  • P11D Expenses and Benefits (only needed if you have private health insurance).

6. Donations, pension contributions, and SEIS/EIS investments

  • Donations: the amount, date, and charity of donation either in document form or a spreadsheet (receipts should be kept for your tax records)
  • Pension contributions: spreadsheet or other documents that show them
  • SEIS/EIS investments: your SEIS3/EIS3 certificates or your share certificates. Check out our guides on how to claim your SEIS and how to claim your EIS.

Need help with your tax return?

Get your self assessment prepared for you online by certified accountants for £119

Online self assessment preparation assisted by professional accountants

How TaxScouts works

Simple online tax assessment

1. Simple online tax assessment

Our online tax-bot will go over your tax situation and will make sure you won’t overpay your taxes.

Chat to human advisors

2. Chat to human advisors

You can talk to one of our tax assistants at any time during the process when you have any questions.

We’ll sort your documents online

3. We’ll sort your documents online

We’ll tell you exactly what documents you need and sort them for you online. You just upload them or snap a picture with your phone.

Everything gets prepared for you

4. Everything gets prepared for you

Your certified accountant will go over your details & prepare your tax return for you to review. It will be filed on your behalf once you approve it.

"Mad not to use it"
Took all of the hassle out of doing a tax return. You would be mad not too use this service.
"A quick and reliable service"
My self assessment tax return completed within 2-3 days. I'll definitely be using TaxScouts again and recommend to family and friends.
"Brilliant service"
Surprised by how easy the process was. Additionally it's saved me money, so all round a win.
Jo B

Who our service is for

First time tax filers

We have a simple online service that guides you through the entire process. Regardless of your reasons for doing your tax return we'll help you get it done right.

Construction workers

We'll prepare your self assessment and help to maximise your CIS tax refund. We have the lowest fees in the industry and you don't have to pay up front if you're eligible for a refund.

People living overseas

Our service allows people living abroad to prepare their income tax return online. We are able to process all returns regardless of your current country of residence.

Company directors

UK company directors are required to file their self assessment annually. TaxScouts handles this through a simple online process.


Long Lets, Airbnb, Capital Gains. TaxScouts will sort out your self assessment and take away the worry of tracking all the recent tax changes.


TaxScouts ensures the self employed don't overpay on their taxes. We'll help you benefit from all the tax breaks and deductions that can be applied to your return.

And for everyone else who needs to do their self assessment

At TaxScouts we appreciate that tax returns are highly individual. Before you get assigned an accountant we make sure to understand your circumstances and help you build your optimal tax profile.

Let's start by creating your account

What happens next

  • We'll ask you a couple of short questions
  • Then we'll tell you what documents we need
  • Finally one of our qualified accountants will file your tax return