⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Focus on your lettings business we’ll sort your taxes

Painless, fast, and done for you online by an accredited UK accountant. Tax returns as they should be.

Now 10% off for NRLA members.

In collaboration with the NRLA

Nobody likes doing taxes. They’re complicated and the tax jargon is just ridiculous.

That’s why we’ve become a Recognised Supplier of the NRLA, the UK’s largest membership association for private residential landlords, to offer their members a 10% discount on our tax return service, where an accredited UK accountant files your tax return for you. All for a one-off fee of £107 (inc VAT).

How it works

Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start preparing your tax return.

Then get paired with a tax return accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real accredited accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will submit your return with HMRC for you.

That’s it! We told you it was simple.

Just pay a flat £107

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return, it’ll cost £107.

That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

Painless tax returns

It’s a simple online process. Fast, efficient and a whole lot less scary than doing it yourself.

Peace of mind

No more worrying about missing a rebate or making a mistake. Get your return drafted by a real, accredited accountant.

Single, discounted price

It doesn’t matter how complicated your situation is or how much you earn. No matter what happens, it’s £107 with your discount.

What the media are saying about us

Filling out your annual return needn’t be taxing. This start-up aims to take the pain out of many people’s biggest headache.

The Times

Common questions

You’re not alone. If you’ve got a question we’ve probably heard it before and have an answer. Or we can walk you through what to do.

Self-service guides and FAQs

It really depends.

Basically, the Real Time CGT return asks you to estimate how much your income will be for the year. If nothing significant changes and you don’t go over/under £50,000 a year (there are different CGT rates if you earn less or more than this), then you don’t need to do a Self Assessment.

However, if you lose a job or get a significant promotion, you might need to file a Self Assessment as well – by January 31st of the second year.

You don’t have to pay Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on property when:

  • you’re selling your main home
  • if your profit is less than £12,000

What you can claim to reduce your CGT bill:

  • if you have let out your home for a while, you can apply for letting relief
  • if you made a loss from selling another property last year, you can claim it this year (it’s called “carrying it forward”)

Read more in our guide to CGT on property here

Registering for VAT as a self-employed is rare.

You only need to do it if:

  • You will be earn over £85,000 from self-employment, or
  • You sell to VAT-registered businesses and want to reclaim VAT on your own purchases (laptop for work, etc.).

Your UTR number is a Unique Taxpayer Reference that you get when you register for Self Assessment.

It consists of 10 digits (sometimes with a letter K at the end) and is issued to you by HMRC.

Check out our guide to getting a UTR.

If you’re self-employed, you can get up to £1,000 each tax year as a tax-free allowance. This is called the Trading Allowance.


  • if you earn less than £1,000 from self-employment, you don’t need to do anything: it’s completely tax-free
  • if your expenses are under £1,000, you can just claim this allowance instead: it’s bigger and you don’t need to worry about receipts

Learn more about the Trading Allowance

No – unless you also need to file a Self Assessment.

You need to file a Self Assessment if:

  • your income goes over or under the £50,000 threshold (there are different CGT rates)
  • you earn income from self-employment, rent, dividends, or interest
  • or you’re looking to claim a tax relief like SEIS/EIS/VCT
  • here is a list of all the reasons why you need to do a Self Asessment.

If you do need a UTR number, we can help you get one quickly for a flat £25.

Not really. Anyone can use the Real Time CGT return for any capital gains (shares, cryptocurrencies, etc.), but only people selling property HAVE to use it – starting from April 2020.

As long as you also live there, you can actually claim the first £7,500 as a flat tax relief.

It’s called the Rent-a-Room Scheme, and it’s one of the best tax reliefs landlords can get.

If you earn under £7,500 from rent, you don’t even need to declare it or submit a Self Assessment tax return.

Again, the only condition is that you also live at the property.


Read more about the Rent-a-Room Scheme here.

Let’s get your Self Assessment sorted today

Taxes as they should be done