⚠️ Hey, you are using an outdated web browser.
TaxScouts might not work with your browser. Upgrade here

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in. Learn more

How to avoid paying US tax from Amazon self-publishing (UK)

If you publish your book using Amazon self-publishing (UK), it’s automatically reported to the IRS (Internal Revenue Service – America’s version of HMRC). And as a result, they’ll automatically deduct 30% from your profits. 

Whilst all non-Americans experience this when signed up to Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing), it’s important to understand that you don’t have to pay as a UK citizen 

Steps to avoid the 30% tax for Amazon self-publishing (UK) 

First, you will need to get hold of one of two things:

  • An EIN 
  • An ITIN  

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is used by the IRS to view employer tax accounts. It’s not too difficult to get hold of one and can be done from home. An Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) is a little more difficult to come by – and it takes a lot of admin. 

How to get an EIN? 

  • Call IRS on (1) 267-941-1000 – don’t forget that they are five hours behind us
  • You’ll need to provide some basic info
    • Your name
    • Your address
    • Details about your self-employed business
  • Explain that you’re not a US citizen and that you need to comply with the IRS withholding regulations
  • Take your EIN 
  • It will take approximately one month for this to be updated

How to remove the 30% withholding tax

To remove the 30% tax for your Amazon self-publishing (UK) account, you will need to login to your KDP account. You will need to update the ‘Tax Information’ section.

Following this, when you click on Tax Information, enter your EIN where it says, “Do you have a US TIN?”.

If you get an email back from Amazon explaining that it’s not gone through, don’t panic. The lag time from the IRS updating your records can take a while. Just try again in up to two weeks and it should be successful. 

What UK tax do I owe on my Amazon royalties?

This is pretty simple. Self-employed writers declare their income to HMRC by doing what’s known as a Self Assessment.

To do this, you complete it online by 5th October following any given tax year. 

You pay your tax bill via a tax return before the following 31st January. The taxes that you’ll have to pay are:

  • Income Tax
  • National Insurance

To calculate what you owe, just use our handy tax calculator.

Hey there! We really hope this article helped you. Tax matters can be a dreadful topic at times. We know. That's why we started TaxScouts.
A stress-free way to getting your taxes done.

Have a minute? See how it works

More guides & useful information

Let us sort your Self Assessment online. £119, all in.

That’s right. No matter how complicated it gets or why you need to do a return in the first place, it’ll cost £119 to get it done. That includes VAT, last-minute changes and all the support you may need.

How TaxScouts works

Answer a few simple questions

And we mean a few. After a couple of minutes of answering questions online we’ll have everything we need to start preparing your tax return.

Then get paired with a tax return accountant

That’s right, you’ll be matched with a real certified accountant who is best suited to prepare your return. Plus, they’re on hand for questions whenever you need.

We file your Self Assessment for you

Once you’ve signed off your return, your TaxScouts accountant will submit your return with HMRC for you.

That’s it! We told you it was simple.