How to file income taxes when living abroad

When you live abroad you still have to pay income tax on any income that you earn from the UK.

European Economic Area (EEA) citizens (or those who work for UK government) can benefit from the income tax allowance. This means income up to £11,500 is tax free.

UK Income that is taxed

  1. Wages/Salary you earn
  2. Your pension
  3. Your rental income
  4. When you sell residential property in UK
  5. Savings Interest & Dividends

Avoiding double taxation

The country you live in may also tax you on your UK income.

If your country of residence has a double-taxation agreement with UK you can avoid this by claiming a tax relief in UK. Details for the agreements with each country may vary but in essence it means you'll pay taxes just once.

When you are employed by UK company but are resident elsewhere

If you are employed by a UK company but live abroad - your employer may set you up as a non-resident employee.

This means you only have to pay the UK income tax on the fraction of the year you spent working in UK, while the remainder of your income is taxed in your home country. Before filing your taxes make sure to ask your employer if they have done so.

How to report and file your income from abroad

You cannot directly use HMRC's online services to file your tax return.

Your taxes have to be reported and filed either by

  • Using HMRC certified online software
  • Using professional tax advisor or accountant
  • Filling out paper forms and submitting them by post

Of course, we at TaxScouts are happy to do this for you as well.

Need help with your tax return?

Get your self assessment prepared for you online by certified accountants for £99

Online self assessment preparation assisted by professional accountants

How TaxScouts works

Simple online tax assessment

1. Simple online tax assessment

Our online tax-bot will go over your tax situation and will make sure you won’t overpay your taxes.

Chat to human advisors

2. Chat to human advisors

You can talk to one of our tax assistants at any time during the process when you have any questions.

We’ll sort your documents online

3. We’ll sort your documents online

We’ll tell you exactly what documents you need and sort them for you online. You just upload them or snap a picture with your phone.

Everything gets prepared for you

4. Everything gets prepared for you

Your certified accountant will go over your details & prepare your tax return for you to review. It will be filed on your behalf once you approve it.

"Brilliant service"
Surprised by how easy the process was. Additionally it's saved me money, so all round a win.
Jo B
"Thank you"
Thank you very much TaxScouts for making my life easier and not emptying my pocket!
"Superb app, team & accountant"
They sorted everything for me. A pleasure to do taxes this way!
Henrik B

Who our service is for

First time tax filers

We have a simple online service that guides you through the entire process. Regardless of your reasons for doing your tax return we'll help you get it done right.

Construction workers

We'll prepare your self assessment and help to maximise your CIS tax refund. We have the lowest fees in the industry and you don't have to pay up front if you're eligible for a refund.

People living overseas

Our service allows people living abroad to prepare their income tax return online. We are able to process all returns regardless of your current country of residence.

Company directors

UK company directors are required to file their self assessment annually. TaxScouts handles this through a simple online process.


Long Lets, Airbnb, Capital Gains. TaxScouts will sort out your self assessment and take away the worry of tracking all the recent tax changes.


TaxScouts ensures the self employed don't overpay on their taxes. We'll help you benefit from all the tax breaks and deductions that can be applied to your return.

And for everyone else who needs to do their self assessment

At TaxScouts we appreciate that tax returns are highly individual. Before you get assigned an accountant we make sure to understand your circumstances and help you build your optimal tax profile.

Let's start by creating your account
Let's get your taxes done

What will happen next

  • We'll guide you through a few questions about your income and suggest related tax deductions
  • Then we'll tell you what documents are needed
  • Finally certified accountant will prepare and file the tax return with HMRC for you
You are using an outdated web browser – TaxScouts works best with modern browsers. Please upgrade here.