How to claim your SEIS income tax relief

Congrats! You've invested in a company and now you also want to ease your tax burden.

While SEIS gives incredible tax reliefs, you need to claim them in order to benefit from them. These are the key things you need to know about the process.

Things you need to have

  • Company names that you invested into
  • Date on which the shares were issued to your name
  • Amounts you invested in each company
  • HMRC office that authorised the issue of the SEIS 3 certificate

Where you can get this information

1. Your SEIS3 certificate

After the company you invested in has been trading for 4 months or when they've spent 70% of the invested money, they can request the SEIS3 certificates from HMRC for their investors. Once they've received them they send them out to their investors.

If you used an agency or an investment platform to invest in the company you should receive SEIS3 certificate from them.

The SEIS3 certificate contains the key information needed for claiming your tax relief with your self assessment: including the time and amount of investment and crucially until what date (3 years from investment) you need to keep the shares to be eligible for Capital Gains Tax exemption if you wish to sell your shares.

2. Your Share Certificate

The companye you invested in must have also issued you a share certificate. This is the document that proves you're a shareholder in the business. In many ways it contains the same information as your SEIS3 certificate, minus the specifics about the SEIS.

Things you need to do

1. File your annual income tax return

When you're filing your annual income tax return you must claim the SEIS income tax relief by filling in the "other tax reliefs" section on your Additional Information (SA101) page at HMRC.

You'll need the enter the total amount invested into companies under SEIS

Tax Return SEIS Amount

At the bottom of the page you'll need to provide the information listed at the top of this article at the additional information section

Tax Return SEIS details

Alternatively, of course, you can use TaxScouts and this is all done for you.

The exact amount of relief will depend on your investment and income tax situation but generally it is 50% of the amount you invested. You can read more about it in our "What is SEIS" section.

Need help with your tax return?

Get your self assessment prepared for you online by certified accountants for £99

Online self assessment preparation assisted by professional accountants

How TaxScouts works

Simple online tax assessment

1. Simple online tax assessment

Our online tax-bot will go over your tax situation and will make sure you won’t overpay your taxes.

Chat to human advisors

2. Chat to human advisors

You can talk to one of our tax assistants at any time during the process when you have any questions.

We’ll sort your documents online

3. We’ll sort your documents online

We’ll tell you exactly what documents you need and sort them for you online. You just upload them or snap a picture with your phone.

Everything gets prepared for you

4. Everything gets prepared for you

Your certified accountant will go over your details & prepare your tax return for you to review. It will be filed on your behalf once you approve it.

Very fast…
Very fast and gave good advice I will be using every year
Wayne L
Superb app, team & accountant
They sorted everything for me. A pleasure to do taxes this way!
Henrik B
Brilliant service
Surprised by how easy the process was. Additionally it's saved me money, so all round a win.
Jo B

Who our service is for

First time tax filers

We have a simple online service that guides you through the entire process. Regardless of your reasons for doing your tax return we'll help you get it done right.

Construction workers

We'll prepare your self assessment and help to maximise your CIS tax refund. We have the lowest fees in the industry and you don't have to pay up front if you're eligible for a refund.

People living overseas

Our service allows people living abroad to prepare their income tax return online. We are able to process all returns regardless of your current country of residence.

Company directors

UK company directors are required to file their self assessment annually. TaxScouts handles this through a simple online process.


Long Lets, Airbnb, Capital Gains. TaxScouts will sort out your self assessment and take away the worry of tracking all the recent tax changes.


TaxScouts ensures the self employed don't overpay on their taxes. We'll help you benefit from all the tax breaks and deductions that can be applied to your return.

And for everyone else who needs to do their self assessment

At TaxScouts we appreciate that tax returns are highly individual. Before you get assigned an accountant we make sure to understand your circumstances and help you build your optimal tax profile.

You are using an outdated web browser – TaxScouts works best with modern browsers. Please upgrade here.