We sort your Self Assessment for you. £149, all in.

Fast, effortless and 100% online.  Learn more

We sort your Self Assessment for you. £149, all in.

Can I pay my tax return online?

  • 2 min read
  • 21 Jan 2021
Can I pay my tax return online?

Yes, you can of course pay your tax return online. It’s the 21st century after all. But you’d be forgiven for thinking that it was a paper-based process.

As we all know, HMRC isn’t best known for its swanky systems and breezy user journeys. Obviously TaxScouts is a smarter alternative, what with our human support, swift turnarounds and tantalisingly low cost. But here’s a guide to help you sift through the chaos on HMRC.

Where do I go to pay my tax return online? 

First and foremost, you need to make sure that HMRC knows about you and your untaxed income. To do this, you need to register for Self Assessment.

  • You can do this via HMRC here
  • The deadline to register online is 5th October
  • Fill in details about all your sources of income
  • Let them know how much you earn from each

Are there other options available?

We’re glad you asked. There are indeed. 

You can use an accountant to help you with your Self Assessment and then later your tax return, or you can hunt around for a smarter alternative (…ahem, not mentioning any names here).

A Traditional Accountant

  • Gets the job done
  • Relieves you of the hassle
  • You don’t have to be qualified to describe yourself as an accountant
  • Can be pricey
  • Additional costs are common
  • The tax education barrier can be a disadvantage


  • Gets the job done
  • All online so no paperwork
  • A flat fee – £149
  • A bank of jargon-free helpful into about tax
  • Fast turnaround time
  • Human support to answer any of your questions

What tax do I have to pay?

This depends on why you’re doing a tax return. 

  1. Self-employed/freelancing
  2. Side-gigs
  3. Landlord
  4. You earn over £100,000

For all, you’ll have to pay Income Tax and National Insurance. But the reliefs that you can claim to lower your tax bill vary for each. Also if you’re both employed and self-employed, part of the tax you owe will be deducted automatically by your employer. Any side-gigs that you’re running (that bring in more than £1000 – click here to read about the Trading Allowance) will therefore be the only streams of income where you should worry about your tax liabilities. 

Click the links above to read about what tax you owe for each.

TaxScouts Newsletter

Want regular tips from us?

Sign up for important updates, deadline reminders and basic tax hacks sent straight to your inbox.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.