How to know if you’re a UK tax resident and need to pay tax here

We've updated this guide on 2nd August 2019

The usual case

If you are physically present in the UK for 183 days or more in a tax year, you will be tax resident in the UK for that year.

You will have to pay:

  • Income Tax
  • National Insurance
  • and even other taxes, like Capital Gains Tax (if you sell property, shares, crypto etc.)

You will pay these for income and profits made in other countries as well – here is how to pay tax on your foreign income.

What if I am in the UK for under 183 days?

It is still possible for you to be resident in the UK. 

HMRC will automatically consider you a UK resident if:

  • you have a home in the UK, and you’re there for at least 30 days
  • you work full-time in the UK for 365 days (this test usually affects two or more tax years)

If you’re “in between” these situations, then HMRC will look at where your strongest ties (family, property, etc.) are.

What if I’ve paid tax on my foreign income already?

You still need to do a Self Assessment tax return and report it.

However, you can claim Foreign Tax Credit relief for the tax you’ve paid already.

What if I’m a foreign student?

You don’t need to worry about UK tax on your foreign income or gains, as long as you’re using them for basic things like food, rent, tuition fee, etc.

You may need to pay tax on your foreign income if you:

  • come from a country without a double-taxation agreement for students – here is the full list
  • or have income that you do not bring to the UK
  • or bring it to the UK and spend it on things other than living costs and course fees
  • or plan to stay in the UK permanently.

Also, if you work during your studies, you do not pay tax if your country has a double taxation agreement with the UK – but you might need to pay it in your home country.

What if I visit the UK often?

It doesn’t matter why or how long you’re visiting.

HMRC will usually look at the total number of days you spent in a tax year in the UK.

Can I be a dual resident?


You can be a tax resident in more than one country at the same time.

What you need to do is look at the double taxation agreement between the two countries – here is the full list.

If your country has a double taxation agreement with the UK and both countries tax your income, then you can claim full or partial relief on UK tax on your UK income.

If your country does not have this agreement with the UK, then you can’t claim this relief, but you can get credit for the foreign tax you pay on your overseas income.

Need help with your tax return?

Get your self assessment prepared for you online by certified accountants for £119

Online self assessment preparation assisted by professional accountants

How TaxScouts works

Simple online tax assessment

1. Simple online tax assessment

Our online tax-bot will go over your tax situation and will make sure you won’t overpay your taxes.

Chat to human advisors

2. Chat to human advisors

You can talk to one of our tax assistants at any time during the process when you have any questions.

We’ll sort your documents online

3. We’ll sort your documents online

We’ll tell you exactly what documents you need and sort them for you online. You just upload them or snap a picture with your phone.

Everything gets prepared for you

4. Everything gets prepared for you

Your certified accountant will go over your details & prepare your tax return for you to review. It will be filed on your behalf once you approve it.

"Absolutely outstanding"
Very quick turnaround, all my questions answered almost immediately and brilliant value.
Aimee J
"Smooth and easy process"
Smooth and easy process. Will use every year! Very helpful staff as well!
Oliver J W
"Smooth and easy process"
Smooth and easy process. Will use every year! Very helpful staff as well!
Oliver J W

Who our service is for

First time tax filers

We have a simple online service that guides you through the entire process. Regardless of your reasons for doing your tax return we'll help you get it done right.

Construction workers

We'll prepare your self assessment and help to maximise your CIS tax refund. We have the lowest fees in the industry and you don't have to pay up front if you're eligible for a refund.

People living overseas

Our service allows people living abroad to prepare their income tax return online. We are able to process all returns regardless of your current country of residence.

Company directors

UK company directors are required to file their self assessment annually. TaxScouts handles this through a simple online process.


Long Lets, Airbnb, Capital Gains. TaxScouts will sort out your self assessment and take away the worry of tracking all the recent tax changes.


TaxScouts ensures the self employed don't overpay on their taxes. We'll help you benefit from all the tax breaks and deductions that can be applied to your return.

And for everyone else who needs to do their self assessment

At TaxScouts we appreciate that tax returns are highly individual. Before you get assigned an accountant we make sure to understand your circumstances and help you build your optimal tax profile.